Saturday, January 26, 2019

Funny Story

So my 3 kids are gluten intolerant, I suspect (call it a mothers intuition) that my oldest is celiac.  This was our first holiday season being gluten free. We are lactose intolerant as well, we live in the Cheese State and when I first realized I couldn't have dairy, I cried. I love cheese, ask anyone who knows me. Then I did some research because I wasn't going to take this lying down! Guess what? Cheese is lactose free. I did my happy dance and all was well once again.

I have a funny story for you all.  For the sake of this story you need to know my hubby can eat gluten. Around Christmas this year, we went to my hubby's family get together. I'm not going to name names so I'll just say her name is Sally. Sally came up to me and handed me some candy canes for my kids.  Here's how the conversation went:

 Me: Thanks! Do you know what brand they are?
Sally: *gives me a strange look* No...why?
Me: Before I can safely give them to my kids I need to be sure they're gluten free.
Sally: *looks at me like I'm crazy* They're sugar...there shouldn't be any gluten in it.
Me: *patiently trying to educate her* I wish it were that simple, but a lot of brands of candy canes have gluten in them.
Sally: *starting to back away from me* Well I don't know, have your husband taste test them.

And it was then that I was first introduced to the ignorance of people to this disease. I was so stunned by what she had said that all I could do was laugh. Do people really believe you can 'taste ' gluten? 😆🤔


No comments:

Post a Comment